Rent-A-Car in the Netherlands
Do you need information about road traffic signs and regulations in the Netherlands? The ministry of infrastructure and environment made this document with all the details you have to know.
Maximum speed limits in the Netherlands:
- Urban residential neighborhoods, 30 km/h (18mph)
- Urban residential areas, 50 km/h (31mph)
- Outside urban areas, 80 km/h (49 mph)
- Expressways, 100 km/h (62 mph)
- Motorways, 130 km/h (80 mph)*
* The speed limit was raised in 2012 from 120 km/h to 130 km/h, but not for all motorways.
- Motorways have 100 km/h zones passing through urban areas.
- Regional roads may have a maximum speed limit of 60 km/h instead of 80 km/h.
- At some motorways there is a maximum speed limit of 80 km/h, due to heavy traffic and/or air pollution.
- Some motorways have a variable speed limit, which for example means that during daytime there's a speed limit of 100 km/h and at night a speed limit of 130 km/h.